Beware: Baby’s Breath Can be Toxic to Dogs



Beware: Baby’s Breath Can Be Toxic To Dogs

Baby’s breath is a popular flower for adding a sweet, delicate touch to floral arrangements, but it can be toxic to dogs. It’s important for pet owners to be aware of this potential danger and take precautions to keep their furry friends safe.

What Is Baby’s Breath?

Baby’s breath is a common filler flower used in many popular flower arrangements. It has small, white, delicate blooms and a sweet, subtle scent. It’s also known by its scientific name, Gypsophila paniculata.

Toxicity of Baby’s Breath

Baby’s breath is toxic to dogs because it contains saponins, which are toxic compounds that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues. In severe cases, it can even cause kidney failure.

Signs of Toxicity

If your dog has ingested baby’s breath, it’s important to watch for the following signs of toxicity:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Dehydration
  • Abdominal pain

If you notice any of these signs, contact your veterinarian right away.

Preventing Toxicity

The best way to prevent toxicity is to keep baby’s breath away from your dog. If you’re using this flower in a flower arrangement, make sure it’s placed in a spot that your dog can’t reach.


Baby’s breath is a beautiful flower, but it can be toxic to dogs if ingested. It’s important to keep this flower away from your furry friends and watch for signs of toxicity if they do ingest it. If you notice any of the signs of toxicity, contact your veterinarian right away.