Beware the Baby’s Breath: Is This Popular Flower Poisonous to Your Cat?


As a cat owner, it’s essential to know which plants and flowers may be toxic to your furry friend. While some plants may cause mild symptoms, others can be fatal. In this article, we’ll discuss whether Baby’s Breath is harmful to cats, and what you should do if your cat ingests this popular flower.

Is Baby’s Breath toxic to cats?

Yes, Baby’s Breath is highly toxic to cats. The plant contains glycosides, which are substances that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite if ingested. These symptoms can escalate into more severe conditions such as abnormal heart rate and breathing, seizures, and even death.

Taking action to reduce the risk of your cat ingesting Baby’s Breath around your home is crucial. Remember to keep it out of reach and discard any fallen stems or leaves right away.

What to do if your cat ingests Baby’s Breath

If you suspect your cat has ingested Baby’s Breath, don’t hesitate to contact your veterinarian right away. Be prepared to give them information on how much your cat may have consumed and the symptoms they are exhibiting. Early recognition of symptoms and seeking professional help can prevent any health complications or toxicity.

Your vet may prescribe medication or suggest veterinary care, depending on the severity of the exposure. The most critical thing is to intervene promptly and take appropriate action.

Alternatives to Baby’s Breath

If you’re looking for a safer alternative to Baby’s Breath, there are several options that are non-toxic to cats. For example:

– Roses
– Sunflowers
– Gerbera Daisies
– Orchids
– Snapdragons
– Zinnias

These flowers are not only safe for your cat but also add a bright and colorful touch to any space. Additionally, always ensure to avoid using chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides in your house plants, as these can be dangerous for pets when ingested.

In conclusion, it’s important to be aware of plants and flowers that may be toxic to your cats. Preventing exposure is the best way to keep your furry friend safe. Show your pet that you love them by taking precautions such as seeking alternatives or keeping items out of reach.