Dangerous for Cats: Is Baby’s Breath Toxic to Our Feline Friends?
Baby’s breath is a beautiful, delicate flower that is often used in flower arrangements, bouquets, and other decorations. Unfortunately, this flower may be dangerous for cats. In this article, we will discuss whether or not baby’s breath is toxic to cats and how to keep your feline friend safe.
What is Baby’s Breath?
Baby’s breath is a small, white flowering plant that is native to Europe, Asia, and North Africa. It is often used in flower arrangements and bouquets due to its delicate, airy appearance.
Is Baby’s Breath Toxic to Cats?
Unfortunately, baby’s breath is toxic to cats if ingested. The plant contains a toxin called saponin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues if ingested. In severe cases, ingestion of baby’s breath can lead to liver damage and even death.
How to Keep Your Cat Safe
If you have baby’s breath in your home, there are some steps you can take to keep your cat safe:
- Keep baby’s breath out of reach of cats. If possible, keep the plant in a room that is off-limits to cats.
- If you have a bouquet or arrangement that contains baby’s breath, keep it out of reach of cats.
- If you are using baby’s breath in a craft project, make sure to keep all pieces and scraps out of reach of cats.
- If you suspect that your cat has ingested baby’s breath, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Baby’s breath is a beautiful flower, but it can be dangerous for cats. If ingested, baby’s breath can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal issues, as well as liver damage and death. To keep your cat safe, make sure to keep baby’s breath out of reach and contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your cat has ingested it.