How to Fix a Stuck Gear Shifter Manual
It can be intimidating when your gear shifter becomes stuck and you are unable to change gears. Fortunately, it’s fairly simple to fix the problem yourself without needing to take it to a shop.
Steps to Fix the Issue
- Shift your car into “Neutral” and take the key out of the ignition.
- Locate the cable that pokes out of the gear shifter, then pull it upward.
- Next, find the knurled knob at the end of the cable and turn it counter-clockwise.
- Check if the problem is solved, and if not move on to Step 4.
- Now look for a small, circular lever at the base of the shifter; this is the release button. Push it until you hear a click.
- Put the key in the ignition and try shifting gears.
If this does not work, it is likely that there is a bigger issue with your transmission which requires professional attention.