How to Make Zucchini for Babies
Feeding your baby nutritious and delicious vegetables early on will set your baby up for healthy eating habits they will take with them through life. Zucchini is a great vegetable to introduce and you don’t need to worry, as it does not have a strong taste or texture that may deter your baby from trying it. Here are some tips for how to make zucchini for babies.
- Selecting the Zucchini: Choose organic, firm, and unblemished zucchinis. Wash and dry them, and cut into small pieces.
- Preparing the Zucchini: Peeling is up to you – some may like to peel and some not. Cook the zucchini in a steamer, in the microwave with a little water, or in a pan of boiling water until it’s tender.
- Blending: Blend or mash the cooked zucchinis to a puree. If needed, add some vegetable or baby formula milk to get a thinner consistency..
- Storing: Place the resulting puree into airtight containers or in ice cube trays and freeze. This will keep for up to three months.
- You can add some spices to the puree, such as cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice, to give it a flavor your baby may like (but do no add salt!).
- You can also mix some other vegetables, such as carrots, parsnips or potato, with zucchini when preparing the puree.
- Zucchini can also be served cooked and as finger food for older babies. Cut into small wedges and serve with butter.
- If you are unsure how to baby’s system may react to the zucchini, start by giving a small amount and gradually increase the portion.
Zucchini is a really versatile and nutritious vegetable to feed to your baby and introduce them to a new food. With these tips in mind, it’s easy to make delicious and healthy zucchini puree for your little one. Enjoy!