How to Put Chain Back on Bike with Gears
Having trouble getting your bike chain back on its gears? While it may sound tricky, putting a chain back on your bicycle’s gears is actually a fairly simple process. With the right tools and a little bit of patience, you can have your bike running smoothly in no time at all!
What You’ll Need
- Chain Breaker and Press Pin Tool – You will need these tools to break and press the chain back into place.
- Rags or Towels – You will need these to wipe off excess oil and grease from the process.
- Chain Lube – Make sure to use chain lube designed for bicycles. This will help keep your chain running smoothly.
- Start by using your chain breaker and press pin tool to remove the damaged links. Be careful not to break the remaining chain links during this process.
- Replace the broken link with a new one, making sure to attach it correctly.
- Using your chain breaker and press pin tool, press the press pin into the new link until it is securely in place.
- Slide the chain onto the sprockets of the rear cassette.
- Move the rear derailleur to the smallest chainring and adjust the shifter so it is in the correct position.
- Reset the chain tension and limit screws if necessary.
- Clean off any excess oil and grease with a rag or towel.
- Apply chain lube liberally to the chain and work it into the links.
And that’s it! With the help of these simple steps, you can have your bike chain back on its gears, running smoothly, in no time at all.