Is Baby’s Breath Harmful to Your Furry Companion? A Guide for Dog Owners


If you’re a dog owner and you’re wondering if Baby’s Breath is safe for your furry companion, you’re not alone. While Baby’s Breath is a popular flower used in floral arrangements, it can be harmful to dogs if ingested. In this guide, we’ll explore the potential dangers of Baby’s Breath, how to prevent Baby’s Breath toxicity, and what to do if your dog ingests this plant.

What is Baby’s Breath?

Baby’s Breath is a small, delicate flower that’s commonly used in floral arrangements. It has small, white blooms that are often used as filler in wedding bouquets and centerpieces. While Baby’s Breath is popular for its soft, romantic look, it can be toxic to dogs if ingested.

Toxicity of Baby’s Breath

If your dog ingests Baby’s Breath, they may experience a range of symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. In severe cases, ingestion of Baby’s Breath can lead to death. The toxic substances in Baby’s Breath can affect the digestive and nervous systems, causing your dog to become disoriented or even unresponsive.

Preventing Baby’s Breath Toxicity

The best way to prevent Baby’s Breath toxicity is to avoid having this plant in your home. This means not using Baby’s Breath in floral arrangements, and being aware of any floral arrangements that may contain this flower. If you’re a floral arranger and you have pets, it’s important to be aware of the potential dangers of the flowers you’re working with.

If you want to decorate your home with fresh flowers, there are many alternatives to Baby’s Breath that are safe for dogs. Some popular options include roses, snapdragons, and marigolds. You can also consider using silk flowers or artificial plants as a safe and stylish way to decorate your home when you have pets.

What to do if Your Dog Ingests Baby’s Breath

If you suspect that your dog has ingested Baby’s Breath, it’s important to contact your veterinarian immediately. They will be able to advise you on the next steps to take, which may include inducing vomiting or providing supportive care. In severe cases, treatment for Baby’s Breath poisoning may require hospitalization.


While Baby’s Breath can be a beautiful addition to any floral arrangement, it’s important to be aware of the potential dangers it poses to your furry companion. By being mindful of the flowers you bring into your home and taking the necessary precautions, you can help keep your pet safe and healthy.