is baby’s breath poisonous


Is Baby’s Breath Poisonous?

Baby’s breath, also known as Gypsophila, is a flowering perennial plant of the family Caryophyllaceae. It is native to southern and eastern Europe but is widely cultivated around the world as a cut flower. They are known for their fragile white petals and airy, fluffy appearance. But is Baby’s breath toxic and should it be avoided if you have pets or small children?

Can Babies & Children Inhale the Plant?

Since baby’s breath is made up of many delicate, papery flowers, it’s important to note that when it is cut and put in bouquets, it can release tiny particles of pollen. It is not likely that a baby or small child could ingest this pollen in a significant enough quantity to be considered poisonous. However, if your baby or child has a tendency to sniff flowers and put them in their mouth, it is advisable to try to keep them away from baby’s breath.

Can Pets Ingest the Plant?

Baby’s breath is not poisonous in its natural form and generally will not harm your pet if ingested in small amounts. However, caution should be taken when purchasing baby’s breath as a cut flower, as it may have been treated with pesticides or other chemicals. If possible, try to purchase organic plants to reduce the risk of any potential poisoning.

Are There any Other Potential Risks?

The most common risks associated with exposure to baby’s breath are skin irritation or an allergic reaction. If you or someone you know is allergic to this type of plant, it is important to take extra precautions when handling the flower. Additionally, baby’s breath can cause eye irritation if small pieces of the plant get in the eyes.

In Summary…

In short, baby’s breath is not considered to be poisonous, but some measures should be taken to reduce the risk of any potential allergic reactions or irritation. If you have pets or children in your home, try to purchase organic baby’s breath or take extra care when handling the flower. Following these steps will help to ensure your family’s safety and eliminate any risks associated with this beautiful flower.

Note: As always, consult your doctor or veterinarian if you are worried that someone in your home has had potentially toxic exposure to baby’s breath.