Is Baby’s Breath Poisonous? A Look at the Risks for Babies and Pets


Is Baby’s Breath Poisonous? A Look at the Risks for Babies and Pets

Baby’s breath is a popular flower used in bouquets and floral arrangements, but is it safe? Unfortunately, this fragrant flower can be toxic if ingested by babies and pets. In this article, we’ll take a look at the risks associated with baby’s breath and how to keep your family safe.

What is Baby’s Breath?

Baby’s breath is a delicate, white flower that is part of the Gypsophila family. It is often used in bouquets and floral arrangements to add a hint of color and texture. It is also known as Gypsofila paniculata, gyp, and maiden’s breath.

Is Baby’s Breath Poisonous?

Yes, baby’s breath is poisonous if ingested by humans and animals. All parts of the plant are toxic, including the flowers, leaves, and stems. The toxins found in baby’s breath can cause vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can lead to respiratory failure or even death.

Who is at Risk?

Babies and pets are most at risk of being poisoned by baby’s breath. Babies can easily put the flowers in their mouths, while pets may chew on the stems or leaves. It is important to keep baby’s breath away from both babies and pets.

What Should I Do If My Baby or Pet Ingests Baby’s Breath?

If your baby or pet ingests baby’s breath, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Depending on the amount ingested, you may need to induce vomiting or give your pet activated charcoal to absorb the toxins. It is also important to keep an eye on your baby or pet for signs of poisoning, such as vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea.

How Can I Keep My Family Safe?

To keep your family safe, it is important to take the following precautions:

  • Keep baby’s breath out of reach of babies and pets. Place the flowers in a vase that is high up and out of reach of both babies and pets.
  • Keep baby’s breath away from food. Do not place baby’s breath near food or on the kitchen counter, as it can easily be ingested.
  • Discard any flowers that have been chewed on. If your pet has chewed on the flowers, discard them immediately.
  • Educate your family. Make sure everyone in your family knows that baby’s breath is poisonous and should not be ingested.

Baby’s breath is a beautiful flower, but it is important to keep it away from babies and pets. If ingested, it can lead to serious health complications. By following the tips above, you can keep your family safe and enjoy the beauty of baby’s breath without worry.