Is Baby’s Breath Poisonous? The Truth Revealed


Many people love to add Baby’s Breath, a delicate, white flowering plant, as a filler to their flower arrangements, wedding bouquets, and decorations. Despite its popularity, there have been concerns about the potential toxicity of Baby’s Breath. This article aims to provide you with a clear and honest answer to an important question – Is Baby’s Breath poisonous?

What is Baby’s Breath?

Baby’s Breath, scientifically known as Gypsophila paniculata, is a small herbaceous perennial plant native to Europe and Asia. It is grown for its tiny white or pink flowers, which are popular in floral arrangements because of their delicate appearance and their ability to complement other flowers. Baby’s Breath is also used in the cosmetic industry as an ingredient in skincare products, such as facial washes and toners.

Is Baby’s Breath Poisonous?

The Truth about Baby’s Breath Toxicity

Contrary to popular belief, Baby’s Breath is not poisonous or toxic to humans. According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), Baby’s Breath is non-toxic to cats, dogs, and horses. Although Baby’s Breath is not poisonous, it can cause mild irritation to the skin and eyes if handled excessively or ingested in large amounts. The irritation is usually short-lived and does not require medical attention.

Potential Risks and Symptoms of Baby’s Breath Poisoning

It is unlikely that ingesting small amounts of Baby’s Breath will cause any harm, but consuming large quantities of the plant may lead to vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, or stomach upset. These symptoms are not serious and typically subside within a few hours. However, if you experience severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing or an allergic reaction, seek medical attention immediately.

How to Safely Handle Baby’s Breath?

Precautions to Take

Although Baby’s Breath is generally safe, it is still important to take some precautions when handling it to avoid irritation or allergic reactions. Always wear gloves when handling Baby’s Breath to prevent skin irritation, and avoid touching your face or eyes after handling the plant. If you are allergic to other plants, such as ragweed or daisies, you may also be allergic to Baby’s Breath.

Proper Ways to Store and Dispose of Baby’s Breath

To prolong the life of your Baby’s Breath flowers, keep them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is also essential to change the water in the vase frequently to avoid bacterial growth. When disposing of Baby’s Breath, make sure to put it in the trash or compost bin, rather than leaving it on the ground. This helps prevent the plant from spreading and potentially causing harm to local wildlife.


In conclusion, Baby’s Breath is not poisonous or toxic to humans, but it can cause mild irritation in some cases. The best way to enjoy this beautiful plant is to take some precautions when handling it and to dispose of it properly. By doing so, you can safely incorporate Baby’s Breath into your décor or add it to your skincare routine without any worries.

Remember to always consult a doctor if you experience any severe symptoms or concerns regarding Baby’s Breath toxicity.