Is Baby’s Breath Poisonous? What Parents Need to Know
Baby’s breath is a popular flower used in bouquets and other decorations, but is it safe for your family? Here is what parents need to know about the potential toxicity of baby’s breath.
What is Baby’s Breath?
Baby’s breath is a type of flowering plant from the genus Gypsophila. It is native to Europe and Asia, and is widely cultivated for its small, white flowers. It is often used in bouquets, corsages, and other decorations.
Is Baby’s Breath Poisonous?
The good news is that baby’s breath is not poisonous. It is not considered toxic to humans, pets, or other animals. However, it is important to note that the sap of the plant can cause skin irritation in some people. If you or your child has a reaction to baby’s breath, it is best to avoid contact with the plant.
What Other Risks Are Associated with Baby’s Breath?
Although baby’s breath is not poisonous, there are still some potential risks associated with the plant. For example, the pollen of the plant can cause allergic reactions in some people. It is also important to note that baby’s breath can be a choking hazard for small children and pets.
What Are Some Safety Tips for Handling Baby’s Breath?
To ensure the safety of your family when handling baby’s breath, it is important to follow these safety tips:
- Wash your hands after handling the plant.
- Keep the plant away from small children and pets.
- Avoid contact with the sap of the plant.
- If you have allergies, wear a mask when handling the plant.
Baby’s breath is not considered poisonous, but it is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with the plant. By following the safety tips outlined above, you can help ensure the safety of your family when handling baby’s breath.