Baby’s Breath is a popular choice in floral arrangements and has become a staple in many homes. Although it’s visually appealing, many pet owners are unaware of its potential harm to their dogs. In recent years, there has been increasing concern about the safety of Baby’s Breath for pets, leading researchers to conduct a study.
What is Baby’s Breath
Baby’s Breath, scientifically known as Gypsophila paniculata, is an herbaceous perennial plant native to Europe and Asia. It has tiny white or pink flowers and thin, delicate stems that support a cloud-like appearance. Baby’s Breath is commonly used as a filler in floral arrangements because of its affordable cost and its ability to last long.
However, Baby’s Breath can be harmful to dogs when ingested. The plant contains saponins, which can cause digestive and respiratory problems if consumed.
A study conducted by the National Animal Poison Control Centre aimed to determine the dangers of Baby’s Breath to dogs. The study involved administering different doses of Baby’s Breath to a group of dogs and monitoring their reactions.
The results showed that while lower doses of Baby’s Breath didn’t cause any significant harm, higher doses caused vomiting, diarrhea, and bloating. In severe cases, the dogs experienced seizures and respiratory distress.
Symptoms of Baby’s Breath Poisoning in Dogs
It’s essential to know the signs of Baby’s Breath poisoning so you can seek veterinary care immediately. Symptoms include:
- Behavioral changes such as lethargy and confusion
- Digestive issues like vomiting and diarrhea
- Respiratory problems including difficulty breathing and coughing
How to Keep your Pup Safe from Baby’s Breath Poisoning
To prevent Baby’s Breath poisoning, pet owners should avoid decorating with the plant altogether. If you have floral arrangements or houseplants that contain Baby’s Breath, keep them out of your dog’s reach. You can also be vigilant and know the symptoms of poisoning so you can act quickly if necessary.
The study’s results confirmed that Baby’s Breath can be dangerous to dogs when consumed, and it’s essential to take precautions to keep your pet safe. Being aware of the signs of poisoning and keeping floral arrangements and houseplants out of reach are simple yet effective ways to minimize the risk.