Is Baby’s Breath Toxic? The Dangers of Ingesting This Popular Flower
Baby’s breath is a popular flower that is used in many floral arrangements. But did you know that it can be toxic if ingested? In this article, we’ll discuss the dangers of ingesting baby’s breath and how to keep you and your family safe.
What is Baby’s Breath?
Baby’s breath is a delicate, white flower that is native to Europe and Asia. It is often used as a filler in floral arrangements, adding a touch of whimsy to the arrangement.
Is Baby’s Breath Toxic?
Yes, baby’s breath is toxic if ingested. It contains a chemical called gypsophila, which can be toxic to humans and animals. Symptoms of ingestion include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhea. In some cases, gypsophila can cause more serious health issues, such as liver damage.
How to Keep You and Your Family Safe
It’s important to keep yourself and your family safe from the dangers of ingesting baby’s breath. Here are a few tips to help you do just that:
- Keep baby’s breath out of reach of children and pets.
- If you are using baby’s breath in a floral arrangement, make sure it is securely attached to the arrangement and not easily accessible.
- If you have children or pets, consider using other types of flowers in your arrangements.
- If you suspect someone has ingested baby’s breath, seek medical attention immediately.
Baby’s breath is a beautiful flower that is often used in floral arrangements. However, it is important to remember that it can be toxic if ingested. By following the tips above, you can keep yourself and your family safe from the dangers of ingesting baby’s breath.