Is Your Feline Friend at Risk from Baby’s Breath? Here’s What You Need to Know


Baby’s breath is a popular and widely used flower in many floral arrangements. While it may be beautiful and delicate, it’s important to know that this plant can be toxic to cats. In this article, we’ll provide an overview of baby’s breath, discuss why it’s dangerous for cats, and offer tips on how to keep your furry friend safe.

What is Baby’s Breath?

Baby’s breath, also known by its scientific name Gypsophila, is a flowering plant native to Europe, Asia, and Africa. It’s commonly used in floral arrangements due to its delicate white or pink appearance, and its ability to add texture and volume to bouquets. There are several different types of baby’s breath, including annual and perennial varieties, and they typically grow in dry and arid regions.

Why is Baby’s Breath Dangerous for Cats?

While baby’s breath is not poisonous to humans, it can be toxic to cats. The plant contains saponins, which are soapy substances that can cause gastrointestinal upset, such as vomiting and diarrhea, as well as neurological symptoms like tremors and seizures. Ingesting large amounts can even lead to severe toxicity and potentially life-threatening complications.

How to Keep Your Cat Safe

If you’re a cat owner and enjoy having fresh flowers in your home, it’s essential to take steps to ensure your pet doesn’t come into contact with baby’s breath. Here are some tips to keep in mind:

  • Choose non-toxic flowers: Opt for non-toxic plants that won’t harm your cat. Some safe options include roses, sunflowers, and snapdragons.
  • Keep arrangements out of reach: Place your floral arrangements in areas where your cat can’t easily access them, such as high shelves or closed rooms.
  • Supervise outdoor playtime: If you have baby’s breath growing in your garden or outdoor space, make sure to supervise your cat while they’re outside to prevent them from accidentally ingesting it.

What to Do If Your Cat has Been Exposed

If you suspect that your cat has ingested baby’s breath or is experiencing symptoms of poisoning, seek veterinary care immediately. Your vet can provide treatment to minimize the risk of complications and help your cat recover. It’s important not to wait and see if the symptoms resolve on their own, as this can lead to more severe toxicity and even death.


While baby’s breath may be a beautiful addition to any bouquet or garden, it’s important to be aware of its potential danger to cats. By taking steps to prevent your cat from exposure and knowing what to do in case of ingestion, you can help ensure your feline friend stays safe and healthy.