Advantages and Disadvantages of Gear Shift
A gear shift, also known as a gear stick, is a lever located near the steering wheel of modern vehicles that can be moved from one gear to another. It is the main component for manual transmission cars as it allows the driver to select the most appropriate gear depending on the driving conditions. While it may seem a relatively simple component, there is a lot that can be said about gear shift and its pros and cons.
- Cost savings – Manual transmissions are often more cost efficient than their automatic counterparts.
- More control of the vehicle – Drivers are able to have more control of the vehicle, as they directly dictate when gears should be changed and the speed of acceleration.
- Better fuel economy – Generally speaking, manual transmissions consume less fuel than automatics.
- More complex – Manual transmissions are much more complex than automatic ones and require a much deeper knowledge of how the transmission functions.
- Driver attention – Manual transmissions require the driver’s attention at all times when on the road. Automatics shift without any driver input, meaning the driver is free to focus on the road.
- Harder driving – Manual transmissions require more effort from the driver when shifting gears than automatics.
Overall, a gear shift is a key component of many cars and offers a great deal of advantages when compared to automatics. However, it does come with several drawbacks and requires the driver to pay much attention when driving. Pros and cons exist for both manual and automatic transmissions, so it’s important that you research them both to find the model most appropriate to your needs.