What to Feed Baby Sulcata Tortoises
Baby Sulcata tortoises, also known as the African spurred tortoise, are the third largest species of tortoises and require very specific diet to keep them healthy and strong. Below is a list of what you should be feeding your baby Sulcata tortoise:
- Low-fiber vegetation: In their diet, babies require mostly low-fiber vegetation such as dandelion greens, escarole, mustard greens, turnip greens, endive, cactus pads and flowers, hibiscus and bougainvillea flowers.
- Fruits: Baby Sulcatas can occasionally eat some fruits such as apples, peaches, plums and pears.
- Commercial tortoise food: You can supplement their diet with occasional treats of commercial tortoise food that has been specifically formulated for Sulcata tortoise species.
Food You Should Avoid
Though these vegetables, fruits and tortoise food are suitable for baby Sulcatas, there are some food items you should avoid to prevent any health issues:
- Animal products: It goes without saying, but baby Sulcatas should not consume any animal products such as chicken, beef, pork, eggs, etc.
- Starchy food: Starchy food such as bread, pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn should also be avoided.
For a balanced diet, you should be providing your baby Sulcata tortoise with a variety of low-fiber vegetable, occasional fruits, and commercial tortoise food supplemented with calcium and vitamin D3. It is also important to provide clean and uncontaminated water and enough exposure to natural sunlight or UVB light to promote the absorption of calcium.