When Should You Start Setting Up The Baby Nursery?
Whether you are expecting your first baby or adding a new addition to your family, setting up the baby nursery in advance is a great way to make your home ready for your little bundle of joy. But when should you get started on setting up the nursery?
Ideally 3 Months Before Baby Arrives
Starting your preparations 3 months before baby is due will give you enough time to design and decorate the room in a way that will make both you and your baby feel comfortable and secure.
What You Should Aim To Have In Place
When you are setting up the nursery in advance, you will want to make sure that you have the essentials in place. Aim to have these items ready 3 months before baby arrives:
- A comfortable crib – look for one with breathable mattress that can adjust as your baby grows, and make sure it is assembled properly.
- A dresser and storage space – you will want to have a place to keep all your baby’s clothes, blankets and nappies organised.
- A changing table – use this to change diapers and to store your baby’s hygiene supplies.
- A comfortable chair and ottoman – this will give you somewhere to sit and feed your baby, and also to relax in the gorgeous new nursery.
- Soft furnishings – these will give the room a warm, inviting feel. Look for items in calming colours and with gentle textures.
You may also want to pick up some additional accessories such as a rocking chair, night light, mobile or rug. Don’t forget to make sure the room is childproofed by putting safety locks on drawers and cupboards, and covering any electrical outlets.
Soothing Décor and Themes
Once you have all the essentials in place, you may want to add some decorations and accents. Pick out colours and patterns for the nursery that you find calming and soothing. Look at some popular baby nursery themes for ideas, or visit a local store for some inspiration.
Ready, Set, Organise!
Once your 3 months are up, your nursery will be ready for your little one to arrive. Make sure all the items are in the right place and everything is accessible so you won’t have to be rummaging around late at night when you are trying to take care of your baby.