How to Shift from First to Second Gear on a Motorcycle
Shifting gears is an important part of operating a motorcycle. If you are learning to ride, understanding when and how to shift is essential. This article will provide you with the basics of shifting from first to second gear on a motorcycle.
Step One: Prepare to Shift
- Ensure the motorcycle is in first gear.
- Bring the motorcycle up to a speed of about 10-15mph before starting.
- Gently roll off the throttle and move the shift lever up with your left foot.
Step Two: Complete the Shift
- After you have pressed the shift lever up, step on the gas gently to begin the shift.
- When the engine RPM drops, press the shift lever up and to the right.
- This will shift the motorcycle into second gear.
Step Three: Be Aware of Your Surroundings
Once the motorcycle is in second gear, it is important to stay aware of your surroundings. The motorcycle is now capable of reaching higher speeds and have more power. Be mindful of other vehicles, environmental conditions and be sure to keep all safety precautions in mind.
Shifting gears is an important part of operating a motorcycle. As you become more comfortable and confident with the process, you will find the shifting to be easier and more natural.