who pays your health insurance while on workers’ compensation


Who Pays Your Health Insurance While On Workers’ Compensation?

Getting injured while carrying out your work duties can be a difficult and stressful time. One of the most important factors to consider during this time is who pays your health insurance while on Workers’ Compensation. Generally, a combination of both employer and state health insurance will cover costs related to a workplace injury.

What Is Workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ Compensation is a benefit for employees who become injured while on duty. It can help cover medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs related to a work injury. It may also be referred to as Workman’s Compensation, Work Injury Compensation, Industrial Injury Compensation, or Work Injury Insurance.

Who Pays My Health Insurance?

In most cases, the employer pays for a portion of the employee’s medical bills related to a workplace injury. In certain cases, depending on state law, the employer may be responsible for all medical costs related to the injury. In some states, the injured worker may also be able to receive state health insurance to cover these costs.

The following are some specific situations where Health Insurance may be covered by an employer or state health insurance:

Medical Costs:

  • Doctors’ visits
  • Hospital stays
  • Prescription drugs
  • Medical equipment/devices

Lost Wages:

  • Temporary disability benefits
  • Rehabilitation services
  • Medical testing and evaluations

Other Costs:

  • Reimbursement for travel expenses related to medical treatment
  • Medical aides and nursing services
  • Vocational retraining and job placement services


If you’ve been injured while on duty, it is important to understand who pays for your health insurance. Generally, Health Insurance costs related to a workplace injury are covered by both employers and state health insurance. However, specific rules for who pays can vary on a state-by-state basis. If you’re unsure who pays, it is recommended that you contact your local Workers’ Compensation office for more information.