Why Do Babies Rock Back and Forth While Sitting?
As a parent, you may have noticed that your baby starts rocking back and forth while they’re sitting down. While it’s often a source of amusement, you’re likely wondering why your baby is doing it.
Reasons Why Babies Rock
Babies rock back and forth for a few reasons, including:
- Relaxation – Rocking helps babies relax and may even help them fall asleep.
- Soothing – Babies may rock to calm themselves down or to help them cope with discomfort.
- Exploration – Rocking is a way for babies to explore their environment and experience how their body moves.
Encouraging Rocking at Home
Even though rocking can be a source of entertainment, it’s important to keep babies safe while they’re doing it. To do that:
- Make sure your baby is supervised while rocking.
- Provide toys and activities for your baby to interact with while they’re rocking.
- Keep them away from objects and furniture edges that could hurt them.
- Make sure their head is supported to keep them from tipping over.
Rocking is a natural behavior for babies and can help them find comfort and explore their environment. With the right environment and supervision, your baby can explore their rocking safely.